contact mic help

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
vision

contact mic help

Post by vision »

Hello everyone,

Currently using the following contact mic:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HY-929-enhanced ... 2266324746

But whitout the recorder device. I can't find it. Do you have a shop recommendation in Germany or France? Or can I use something else to record ?

Also I found this one, did someone already tested it?

https://www.gutzeit-gmbh.de/ueberwachun ... krofon.php

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards.
jinhui
Kingpin

Re: contact mic help

Post by jinhui »

Hi vision,
I had this spylizer from gutzeit a few years ago. The main problem with it was, that the device is ultra suspicious. Also you have to consider, that when using a parabolic microphone or a contact microphone you do not only pickup the sounds from your target but also many side noises, which you don't really want to hear. This doesn't really help getting good recordings and mostly takes high efforts cleaning up recordings.

The sound quality was okish, but I did never get any decent recording with it to be honest. With the contact mic attachment which can be fixed to a wall with modelling clay I had the problem that first of all it didn't really hold safely and fell off from time to time, making pretty loud noises and once damages to furniture... also the modelling clay left stains on the wall.

I switched to an Olympus DM-550 recorder afterwards, which is way less suspicious looking. I can use this one as a recording attachment for my new contact microphone (sun mechatronics FL-999) or as a standalone recorder. When using zoom mode on the Olympus recorder it's kind of comparable to a parabol microphone like the spylizer is, but the quality is by far better and the features are too.
The sun mechatronics FL-999 contact microphone also comes with a magnetic contact mic attachment which you can safely mount on metal. Sometimes there is metal inside the walls which you can attach the microphone to.

So my conclusion is: Don't buy the spylizer and by an Olympus Recorder instead. If you really want to have a contact microphone, then consider spending the money on the sun mechatronics FL-999. But to be honest, that's more of a gimmick if you have the money.

Best regards,
jinhui