Loud Neighbor set up

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
biscuitsactual

Loud Neighbor set up

Post by biscuitsactual »

Hi guys, I am extremely new to this, but am definitely interested in learning.

I have 2 new neighbors who are very loud. It almost sounds like they’re in the room with me. I have just listened to the first capture I have, and it’s pretty bad. I can hear myself breathing, and every movement in the room. I used my phone because it was handy, but clearly i need something better. To complicate things further, I have to be able to hide it from my wife, as she would not be supportive of my new hobby.

Any suggestions for me? I’m completely new to this, so basic explanations would be very helpful. Thank you in advance!
mjj9994
Knight

Re: Loud Neighbor set up

Post by mjj9994 »

Welcome to the forum Biscuit.

Without knowing your specific layout it would be difficult to advise anything. Can you describe the layout and structures involved. For example, is it an apartment building and your rooms are on same side, adjacent to each other (sharing a wall between units), is it a house with a 40 foot gap between the houses? What area are you using to listen (window, under a door, etc?) and where are the target sounds coming from (window, door, etc?) Without knowing all the variables it is hard to say
biscuitsactual

Post by biscuitsactual »

The layout is a townhouse. Their bedroom shares a wall with mine. To the best of my knowledge it is a cement wall that divides us but for whatever reason sound travels extremely well through it. All of the listening is through the wall, windows closed and no other way for sound to reach the room. Hope this is an adequate explanation! If not please let me know and I can provide more information.
Sport Fisher

Post by Sport Fisher »

Can't wait to hear them
mjj9994
Knight

Post by mjj9994 »

Sounds like a "contact mic" type setup may be helpful for your situation, but I do not have any experience with them. Prices range from DIY setups for around $10-20 to over $200 for "spy shop" type getups. Below are a few threads on the subject.

Another quick fix option could be to find a bowl or container large enough for your recording device and stuff some t-shirts or other sound-dampening material around the back and sides of the container and press it up against the wall, but your device may not be as sensitive as your ears so results may vary.

Contact mic threads:
viewtopic.php?p=59763&hilit=contact+mic#p59763
viewtopic.php?p=54463&hilit=contact+mic#p54463
[urlhttps://www.sexsoundlovers.cc/ssl-forum/viewtop ... mic#p53684][/url]
[urlhttps://www.sexsoundlovers.cc/ssl-forum/viewtop ... mic#p51017][/url]
Take

Post by Take »

biscuitsactual wrote: 30 Jun 2024 07:30 Hi guys, I am extremely new to this, but am definitely interested in learning.

I have 2 new neighbors who are very loud. It almost sounds like they’re in the room with me. I have just listened to the first capture I have, and it’s pretty bad. I can hear myself breathing, and every movement in the room. I used my phone because it was handy, but clearly i need something better. To complicate things further, I have to be able to hide it from my wife, as she would not be supportive of my new hobby.

Any suggestions for me? I’m completely new to this, so basic explanations would be very helpful. Thank you in advance!
If they are very loud and they are on the other side of your bedroom wall, any USB recording will manage to capture the loud sounds.
If you want to cath more detailed conversations and whisper moands, then a contact mic will do the job flawless as our colleague mjj9994 pointed.

There are USB recorders with a magnet that you can place around your bed or any metallic part on your bedroom. This will make more difficult to find for your partner.

Looking forward for those recordings. :wink: